Monday, January 7, 2013

Post #115: Up in the Air

Burberry's all film noir, Guess is looking "innocent" for once, and Chanel's a darker Marie Antoinette...

And I'm one of those people who absolutely loves looking at the plethora of ads that starts off every magazine I pick up.  

That being said, upon beginning my front-to-back read of the December/January 2013 issue of Harper's Bazaar, I couldn't help but notice that more than one design house was hit with the "travel ad bug." Based on the seasonal urge to beat the winter blues, the general concept is unsurprising. But this blogger was pretty shocked to see two ads that were more than a little similar. 

Louis Vuitton's L'Invitation au Voyage campaign has dazzled me since I first saw it almost two months ago. The fashion film, starring Arizona Muse, was directed by Inez van Lamsweerde and Vinoodh Matadin and unexpectedly set to a tune from 28 Days Later (who knew horror flicks could offer perfect fashion soundtracks?). The print ads use an image of Muse with her Louis Vuitton bag in a hot air balloon. 

After seeing Vuitton within the first few pages, I was shocked to flip a little further and find another hot air balloon. This one belonged to Carolina Herrera's CH ad campaign. While the differences between the ads include a couple and a purse-studded basket, I personally found the similarities a little too close for stand-out-potential comfort. 

From Louis Vuitton:


From Carolina Herrera:



What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment