Thursday, September 15, 2011

Post #84: Designer Interview - Elsa Brodmann

            After coming across designer Elsa Brodmann because of G-Eazy's "Runaround Sue" video, I couldn't resist looking up the woman with such a gorgeous vintage eye for clothing. Creator and designer of the fashion line Ottilie Brodmann (http://www.ottiliebrodmann.com/), Elsa Brodmann is definitely someone to keep your eye on. The Mannequin asked her for an interview...and I am thrilled to tell you that she agreed to it. So here are ten questions for and answers from an intensely awesome young designer:



The Mannequin:  What made you first become interested in fashion?
Elsa Brodmann: I came from a family that was always interested in fashion. My grandmother was a dressmaker in Germany. My mother grew up in the 60s and 70s and when having disposable income, would spend it on her favorite designers, which were Charles Jourdan, Bruno Magli, Valentino, and Gucci. My aunt would make her own clothes that both my mother and sisters would wear...and then there came me. They gave me a lot of the clothing and accessories they wore and it started my love for classically designed garments that make a woman feel like lady. I got my first pair of high heel shoes when I was 13 and I was hooked.


TM:  I read that you initially started out as a freelance costume designer, what made you decide to switch to designing your own line?
EB: Film. I grew up watching films from the 50s and 60s and a lot of my inspiration comes from that. Sometimes even further back. I watched Sunset Boulevard and then became intrigued by Gloria Swanson and started watching her old silent films. I then started designing a collection from that.


TM: The name of your line, Ottilie Brodmann, is different than your actual name, what was the inspiration behind it?
EB: The name came from my grandmother Ottilie. I wanted to use her name as an homage to the initial origin of my desire to design.


TM:  Do you design for the art of the clothes or the woman wearing them?
EB: The woman wearing them. I appreciate clothing that is more conceptual, but for myself, I enjoy designing clothes that I like to wear. There is a brown ruffle dress from my fall 2011 collection that I love wearing and is appropriate for several types of occasions. Both my clients and the models that have worn my clothes say the same thing. It makes them feel sophisticated and ladylike and that is what I strive for.


TM: What has been your favorite project to work on as a designer (costume, fashion, or otherwise)?
EB: I really love commissions. I am working on a potential commission with an Arts Center in New Orleans and it really inspires me to challenge myself in my design capabilities and to make something different and awe-inspiring.


TM: Where do you look to for inspiration in your designs?
EB: Film. I grew up watching films from the 50s and 60s and a lot of my inspiration comes from that. Sometimes even further back. I watched Sunset Boulevard and then became intrigued by Gloria Swanson and started watching her old silent films. I then started designing a collection from that.


TM: Out of everything that you've ever designed, do you have a favorite piece?
EB: I made a midnight blue dress inspired by a design worn by Elizabeth Taylor, The dress was worn by a woman that greatly inspires me: burlesque performer Trixie Minx. She wore it to my first solo runway show, which I had at Louisiana Artworks. It looked great on her!


TM: Growing up, did you have a favorite designer?
EB: Yes, but so many! I love Elsa Schiaparelli, Mary Quant, Andre Courreges, Christian Dior, Pierre Cardin, Jil Sander, and many more! 


TM: Your current collection (as well as the costumes in G-Eazy's "Runaround Sue" video) has a very vintage vibe to it. Do you see yourself continuing on with this vintage trend in the future or do you see one of your next collections being more modern?
EB: I live and breathe vintage. I will always have a more classic look to my clothes, but will play with a more contemporary look here and there. For me the classic ladylike look will never go out of style.


TM: If you could choose anyone, living or dead, to wear your clothing, who would it be and why?
EB: I would say Vivien Leigh. All of the characters she played in both stage and film had such great depth to them, whether it be Ophelia in Hamlet, Scarlet in Gone with the Wind, or Blanche DuBois in A Streetcar Named Desire. She had difficulty being taken seriously with her acting talent because of how beautiful she was. I think that is something that a lot of talented women have to prove...how capable they are despite appearances. 

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful interview! I, personally, love everything that Elsa touches & am honored to get to model her designs regularly. Her classy sense of style & love for vintage create timeless looks that no one else in this city can touch. -kat bosio

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is truly a visionary and constant form of inspiration!

    - juley

    ReplyDelete