Monday, May 23, 2011

Post #54: The Closet Challenge - A Bit Of Research

            While ideally my closet will end up looking like Carrie Bradshaw's in the first Sex and the City movie (see video clip below)...that may be (structurally) out of the realm of possibility. 


            However, in my quest to make my closet pleasant to be in and completely organized, I did look up some of the "best" closet organizing tips. So here they are:


  • Good Housekeeping came up with a cute idea: the "once-a-year fashion show." "Empty the closet, then try on each garment in front of a full-length mirror. Does it fit? With what outfits and on what occasions will you wear it? Does it need mending? Will you ever be able to get out that ink stain? Separate pieces into four piles: keep, mend, donate, throw away. Follow the same steps for shoes." I don't know if I'll try on everything in my closet, but I definitely will be cutthroat when it comes to weeding through my wardrobe for donations.
  • Good Housekeeping also suggests using see-through boxes or easily organizable bins to store accessories and shoes. 
  • A tip I found on HGTV.com suggested really thinking about how much you use certain things. If something in your closet is only seasonal, put it in storage elsewhere. If certain things come out once a year and have no other place in the house, put them on the highest shelves. This tip may sound like a no-brainer, but it may be something that is too often overlooked. 
  • I don't know if I'll be able to pull of this other HGTV tip, but one closet organizer suggested leaving some empty shelving to make things feel clean and spacious. 
  • I also hear (and have read from many sources) that the best way to store your shoes is in their original boxes with a polaroid on the front. 
Let the organizing begin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment