Sunday, May 20, 2012

Post #106: It's All In The Details - Store Curiosities

            Today I did some last minute shopping with my parents before I leave for Paris. Yet again, I was unable to resist going into Forever 21 (and scored exactly what I was looking for: an across the chest shoulder-strap bag for my everyday wanderings while abroad...pictures to come). Yet again, I left carrying one of their bright yellow shopping bags. Having noticed the fact that the bottom of the bags say "John 3:16" on multiple occasions, I decided to finally look it up. The sixth verse of  Chapter Three of the Gospel of John in the New Testament states: "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." Makes sense with the name, but curious that a major clothing chain would choose to incorporate any facet of a specific religion into its daily functioning/products; especially something as visible and widespread as the shopping bags.


            I looked it up to see if there was any significance with the creators/owners of the store and discovered that it started out in Los Angeles and originally sold clothing targeted at middle-aged women. Much of the clothing was South Korean influenced and was meant for the Korean American community in LA. Clearly much has changed, but this blogger is still left curious as to the origin of and reasoning behind Forever 21's Bible-quoting bags.

No comments:

Post a Comment