Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Post #111: How I Learned to Draw

            If you weren't already aware, I've been studying fashion in Paris since the beginning of the month. My program's curriculum offers a slew of courses in everything from fashion illustration to fashion promotion. While I had come to the program with a focus on the business side of fashion, I ended up learning a lot more than I bargained for with regard to design. My proudest accomplishment thus far has been my greatly increased drawing skills. 
            Up until this point in time, I had only ever taken one costume design course (at Colgate) where the emphasis was more on the designs and less about proper proportions and pretty figures. But now, thanks to the Paris Fashion Institute's incredible Illustration teacher (her name is Jinny), I just marvel at how far I've come. To "illustrate" my point, here's a series of my sketches to show my development. 

My basic skills started off with something a little worse than this. 


Then proportions got better thanks to some guidelines (notice the folded page and the little labels on the side? They're telling me what body parts go where.). 

My figures started getting better, thanks to the guidelines. 


But things still weren't quite right and my teacher told me to work on the confidence in my lines. 


So I did a lot of tracing. 


And by a lot, I mean hours of tracing. Thank goodness, my hand started getting used to how figures should be drawn. 


This is one of my earlier designs with better proportions. 


Then came time for me to work on hands, feet, faces, and hair. 

And finally, yesterday I accomplished this. 


And then challenged myself to a more difficult pose. 

Not too shabby, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment